Thursday, May 04, 2006

Blue Smoke in Your BBQ

I had to admit, my trip in WV this time was very shocking to my taste buds. The first couple of times when I was here, I was miserable because I couldn't find anything good to eat here. But today, I might have found a BBQ place that's so good that the taste was even above Hoggy's. That's right, I've said it, Blue's BBQ in South Charleston, WV tasted better than Hoggy's!

Located in a small strip mall that looked fairly run down, Blue BBQ was not a flashy joint that will catch your eyes immediately (which explained why I didn't notice its existence until today). The store owner was very southern friendly and the wall was decorated with eclectic pieces, ranging from posters of Bob Marley, Johnny Cash, and Marilyn Monroe to cartoon depicted gothic husband and wife (made in China). Their menu was simple, BBQ sandwiches or plates and some regular hamburger and hot dog items. I tried the BBQ hand-pulled pork sandwich with slaw just so I could have a comparison with the Smokybones. And it was heavenly.

The BBQ pork was extremely tender and juicy, and the BBQ sauce was not overloaded onto the meat, so I got the BBQ sauce flavor without overpowering the flavor of the pork. The slaw was crunchy and sweet. The baked bean on the side was also extremely good. It was not overly sweet like so many BBQ restaurant's and the caramelized fragrant of molasses was so good and add an extra dimension to the baked bean. And the price for a regular BBQ sandwich with two sides was only about $6!

Blue BBQ gets a 4 out of 5 on my yummy scale. If you are ever in South Charleston area, definitely make a trip to Blue BBQ on 1109 Jefferson Rd. South Charleston, WV 25309. Trust me, you won't regret it!

No comments: